Tokyo Festival 2019 ‘History of Violence’
About the event
How do you perceive forms of violence tolerated by the society?
At 4:00 am in the Place de la République in Paris, while returning home from a Christmas dinner, young Édouard meets Reda, a man who has an Algerian background. They get talking, start to flirt and soon Édouard is taking Reda back to his studio apartment. The two spend the night together, Reda talks about his childhood and his father who fled to France from Algeria. The mood is playful, they laugh, exchange caresses and have sex. But when, as they say goodbye to each other a few hours later, Édouard discovers his smartphone is missing and Reda suddenly takes out a gun and threatens him, the situation quickly turns to one of intimidation, violence and rape. The next morning, Édouard goes to the police and seeks medical attention. At a loss over how to deal with his trauma, he flees to his sister Clara in provincial northern France and confides his story to her. The reactions to the dramatic incident by the people around him as well as the police and medical staff who are treating him uncover the racism, homophobia and obscure power structures deeply rooted in society.
S：Advance ¥5,000 Same Day ¥5,500
A：Advance ¥4,000 Same Day ¥4,500
Disability Discount (Advance only)：S/¥4,500 A/¥3,600
Aged 29 or under (A seats only)：¥3,000
Tokyo Metropolitan Theatre
1-8-1, Ikebukuro, Toshima-ku, Tokyo, Japan 171-0021
Date : 24th-26th, October 2019
10.24 ［THU］7:30 PM
10.25 ［FRI］ 7:30 PM
10.26 ［SAT］ 2:00PM
*Language: German (with English and Japanese subtitles)
- Original novel
- Édouard Louis
- Thomas Ostermeier
- Christoph Gawenda
- Laurenz Laufenberg
- Renato Schuch
- Alina Stiegler
- Thomas Witte
- Schaubühne Berlin
- Coproduction with
- Théâtre de la Ville Paris
- Théâtre National Wallonie-Bruxelles and St. Ann’s Warehouse Brooklyn.
- Presented by
- Tokyo Festival Executive Committee
- ［Toshima City, Toshima Mirai Cultural Foundation, Festival / Tokyo Executive Committee, Tokyo Metropolitan Foundation for History and Culture (Tokyo Metropolitan Theatre & Arts Council Tokyo)］
- Supported by
- Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany Tokyo Goethe-Institut Tokyo and Embassy of France in Japan / Institut français du Japon
- Production Management by
- precog co.,LTD.
- Supported by the Agency for Cultural Affairs, Government of Japan in the fiscal 2019.
- Tokyo Festival 2019 is held in corporation with Culture City of East Asia 2019 Toshima.